Kubecon 2019

A little bit of context

The growth of container application packaging, orchestration and delivery technology has exploded some years ago and right now it is in a really active state. In a survey conducted by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, 73 per cent of respondents are currently using containers in production today, with the remaining 27 per cent plan to use them in the future. And, as the use of containers has grown, therefore has the use of an orchestration platform to manage it all: Kubernetes. We have talked about it in several posts in the past.

It is being more and more evident that containers, container orchestration and public clouds are tightly coupled. The result (or the target of this strategy) has been the extension of the provision of resilient, scalable infrastructure without the drawbacks of the traditional IT that was incredibly slow, rigid and expensive to be useful for this new phase.

As a direct consequence, the software market has changed as a number of companies that traditionally were not software makers have moved to produce their own software, integrating their structures department of technology as part of the business core. This explains the huge success of Kubernetes and most of the projects hosted and funded by the Cloud Native Foundation.

The Conferences

Well, it is a long list with many topics that would be really boring to enumerate. We have preferred this time to illustrate our favorite moments and the topics we liked more with some pics.

Fernando Muñoz (co-author), master on all the technologies on the wall behind… and more!
Jonas Boner did it again. Mind-blowing ideas about stateful FaaS on Kubernetes!!
MLOps practices or how to get something from ML in production taking less than months.
The goal of Kubeflow is to make possible deployments of machine learning (ML) workflows on Kubernetes in a production-ready way.
Linkerd is a service mesh for Kubernetes and other frameworks. The idea is to provide K8s clusters with debugging, observability, reliability, and security features, all without requiring any changes to the applications’ code.
People from Bloomberg have adapted Spark on Kubernetes cluster to improve efficiency (shuffling) and adding secured access to data, models, etc.
Diversity and parity were not a constant in all events. Please ladies, come to technology ASAP!

Conclusions

There is no doubt that Cloud Native is the standard of the future for IT, with Kubernetes and the new swarm of tools will be essential to support digital transformations to a model in which applications are deployed as microservices or nanoservices on an open source software stack in the near future.

Besides, pushing Machine/Deep Learning software to production has been a common concern in the industry., Many efforts have been made in this respect while a new practice has resulted as the aftermath: MLOps as a variant of DevOps specialized on handling all the issues in this area.

Kubernetes is both supporting and driving this transformation as the only standard. Anyway changes are also coming quite rapidly. KubeCon + CloudNativeCon’s growth reflects the opportunities and challenges facing technology and technical/business leaders who know how critical it is not just to keep up to date, but to be one step ahead of the technology–and the competition in this new, bigger and more dangerous market.

Do not hesitate to have a look on the long list of conferecens already available at the Youtube Barcelona ’19: KubeCon + CloudNativeCon channel.

Cheers!

Jesus de Diego

Author: Jesus de Diego

Software Architect and Team Lead

Fernando Munoz

Author: Fernando Munoz

Software Team Leader

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.